Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ladybug's Proud Potty Moment

I have been very thankful lately.  I have been thinking about all the stages that I have gone through as a mother with Ladybug.  We have the first stage of breastfeeding and diapers (I kinda miss those days).  The second stage of ear infections, antibiotics, diarrhea, and changing to cloth diapers to help with the rash.  The third stage of starting to potty train during the day.  The forth stage of potty training at night.  I am finally done with the latest stage and can proudly say that Ladybug officially "sleeps through the night" most nights, with rare accidents!!  


Good Lord this child used to wet through two night diapers a night.  When she finally started to tell me she wanted to wear panties to bed instead of diapers I figured, "Sure we can try it."  I would get her up and carry her to the bathroom in the middle of the night, at first it was several times a night.  Then it dwindled down to once a night before I would go to sleep myself.  Then all of a sudden she started to get up herself and go potty by herself and take herself back to bed!!  Yeah!!  This is a proud moment in my life.  


So in celebration of this wonderful life moment I wanted to go down memory lane and tell you a little story about Ladybug's Proud Potty Moment.


We started potty training Ladybug back when she turned 2.  We were making some progress when we found out that we had to move because the owner of the house we were in was losing the house to foreclosure.  Potty training pretty much stopped then, due to the stress of finding a new home for the 7 of us, close to work and schools, as well as affordable.  We found a great house at the end of a dirt road in the same town.  It fits the 7 of us with room for my sanity (most days).    


After packing, moving, and some unpacking (I am still not all the way unpacked because I figure as soon as I do we will have to move again)... I decided to try again.  Ladybug was a cloth diaper child at home and then regular diapers/pull ups at daycare.  Daycare jumped on board with me and off we went.  


One evening while I was taking a shower, Ladybug was in my room watching a TV show.  I heard her say, "Mommy! Blah blah blah blah blah!!"  with a lot of pride in her voice.  I asked her what she said and she repeated it, with a lot of pride but I couldn't understand her.  I told her to come closer so I could hear her better.  She came in the bathroom and said it again but with the noise of the shower and her being young and not talking clearly I couldn't understand what she said.  So finally I opened the shower door and asked her "What did you say?"  


She puffed her chest up with pride, smiled really big and said, "Mommy!  I pee peed on your purse!!!"  


"You WHAT?!?!"  I asked loudly.  


"I pee peed on your purse!!" she said with a little less pride.


"You're kidding me!!"  I said with more excitement.  


At this point I think she realized that I wasn't happy with her choice pee pee place.  I told her to go get my purse and then to go get her Daddy in the other room.  Hubby didn't seem to be as alarmed as I was about the whole thing.  I told him to get out of the room then if he wasn't going to be helpful.  When I was done (a short time later) I wiped it off with a clorox wipe.  Thankfully it's leather and didn't soak in.  


Here's the thing.  My purse was on the ground by my desk.  She had to move it where she ended up peeing on it, take off her panties, squat and pee.  How she thought this was a good thing is beyond me.    She peed on the purse and the floor mat for my desk chair.  I nearly slipped and fell on my butt when I was looking for the spot she peed on.  Lucky for me she missed the carpet.  


I still figure my husband would have been more upset had it been something of his that she peed on.  I was very irritated with him for a while.  A couple weeks later, as he was putting on the clothes he sleeps in (he keeps them on the floor in the bathroom) he noticed that they were wet.  He came to me to ask why they were wet.  Since she hadn't had her bath that night yet I figured she peed on them.  


My Mama always told me "Paybacks are a &itch".  Glad he got to learn that lesson.  Maybe he will learn to be more sympathetic... I won't hold my breath.   

No comments:

Post a Comment