Friday, August 26, 2011

The facts of ... that time of the month


I thought that I would have more time with my little Ladybug (who is going to be 5 on Thanksgiving this year) before I had to explain to her about a period.  But damn... kids are very curious and tenacious, she never gives up.  


Tonight was the night.  I have been on my period for a while (long story I am not going to explain to the masses... just a few select friends  :~) and I didn't put away the box of tampons, it was still on the counter in the bathroom.  While Ladybug was getting ready to brush her teeth tonight she asked:


Mommy?  What are these for?


As the points to the box of tampons.... I say:


Those are tampons, you will learn about those when you get older.


Ladybug says:


But I want to learn about it, now, today.


I sigh in my head and think... I know my friends have explained this to their children at this age (and younger), I guess it's about time I explain things to her.  So I told her a condensed version of when she will have a period and why.  Maybe now I won't have incidences like this one:


We were at the movies a while back, I had to go to the bathroom.  We went into the handicapped stall because it's me and Ladybug and we need the room.  She goes first.  So when I am going she's standing there with me and says:


Mommy!!!  You poo-pooed in your panties!!!


I had started my period.  Then she says (as her first comment is echoing all around the bathroom for what seems like eternity but had to only been a second or so):


Mommy, why is it red?  Are you bleeding!!


At this point I tell her to please be quiet and look at the door (so I can take care of this myself).  


Another time we were in the bathroom out in public she says:


Mommy!!!  I see your hair on your Potty!!


OMG, it's not like I can have her wait for me when there is a lot of people in the bathroom, she has to come in the stall.... but I think from now on I will have her face the door while I go to the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment