Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Morning with 007, Ladybug and Ladybug's "Friends"

Today I volunteered to help at Ladybug’s school.  I planted Teddy Bear Sunflower seeds with the kids.  (See Picture)  I have admired her teacher for a long time now.  She’s as smooth with the children as James Bond was with the ladies, it’s utterly amazing to see.  So anyway, 007 had asked me to come in at nine o clock when school usually starts and we would begin this project.  I had spent a little bit of time (during drop off and pick up and then when we had show in tell with Ladybugs kitty) in the classroom already so I knew a little bit what to expect.  Now 007 has two grown girl children and they have their own children so she’s been there and done that.  She now lives with her husband and various pets in a quiet little condo community in my town near her mother who is in her 80’s or 90’s.  (you can see I talk a lot to the people who are important in my child’s life).  I have always believed that it takes a village to raise a child.  I mean heck, I am fairly new at this with my daughter only being 4 and the other kids not coming to live with us until the youngest was 10.  Sure, I have babysat, watched, and generally helped raise my fair share of children when I was much younger so I have some experience but nothing in comparison to what I go through now 24/7. 

I have certain expectations (all mothers do) when it comes to my child or children.  I expect them to behave when we are out in public (more so than when they are home) so they don’t make me look bad.  (Honestly … you all have to admit it.  As much as you don’t care what other people think, when your kids act up in public you are very embarrassed to even admit that you know them, much less that you are primarily responsible for raising them.)  

I expected to be able to go into the classroom and do my thing with the kids, take some pictures of my Ladybug “in action” playing with the other kids or being as good as gold.  Good Lord I live in a fantasy world.  The teachers, other parents or whomever should warn other parents that when you help in your child’s classroom that they will not be the same child that they are when you are not there. They will be clingy, whining, bossy, overbearing, and all in all an embarrassment to know.  Now, I understand that it probably wasn’t that bad.  In fact, the teacher even mentioned on multiple occasions that she is a very well behaved, polite girl to have in the classroom. 

We started off outside.  The kids are practicing their songs for Back to School Night later in April.  After convincing Ladybug that she needed to sit with the rest of her class and listen to her teacher they did some talking and singing.  Then 007 and I went inside briefly to decide what the game plan was.  I had dropped all the supplies needed in the classroom (I had extra from home) the night before.  I set up a little (very little) table with the small Jiffy pots (the ones that you can plant directly into the ground after the seeds sprout), the Seed Starter Soil, the seeds and the tray so we wouldn’t get water everywhere.

After setting up the kids came inside to sit on the round rug and 007 read them “Planting a Rainbow” (a very cute book BTW).  While she was trying to read this book Ladybug was trying to sit next to me, in my lap, behind me and could not sit still.  I was getting very irritated with her.  I wondered “In situations like this who is the person who is supposed to tell her to knock this crap off?!?!?!  Me?  Or 007?”  So I tried to ignore her, thinking she might take the hint and sit quietly and listen to the story.  That didn’t work, she kept trying to softly talk to me about something and I finally was whispering to her to sit still and be quiet just like the other children.  She kept insisting that she “had” to tell me something.  I thought, “This might be important or not but at least it might get her quiet.”  I asked her what it was and she asked “Mommy, when we get home can we garden?”  (OK …. Is the sky blue?  We garden almost every single day that the sun is out.)  I told her yes and she was able to sit still for another minute or so before wiggling again.  I was thinking for sure that 007 was testing me in some way, to see how I would handle this situation.  The other kids were wiggling too, but they weren’t sitting in my lap so I didn’t notice as much.  007 finally said, “OK everyone needs to sit on their bottom and cross their legs.  The only one who is allowed to wiggle is Ladybug because her Mommy is here today and she’s very excited.  It’s hard to sit still when your Mommy is here in the classroom helping out.”  Wow… that made me feel better. 

After the story, Ladybug was able to pick three friends to help get chairs and put them at my table.  I was surprised with the friends she picked because they were not the ones that she ever mentions when she is telling me about her day.  We all sat down and then I proceeded to do my best in teaching the kids what they needed to know about planting a seed.  Turned out pretty well I think.  I asked each child their name and how to spell it, so I could write it on their pots.  Most of them knew how to spell it, some didn’t.  Ladybug wanted me to put her nickname instead of her real name on her cup.  It’s kinda funny because she can and will write her nickname on all her school paperwork, things at home, sign cards, etc. instead of using her real name.  I wonder how long that will last, her preferring her nickname (she calls it her Good Name) over her real name (or her Bad Name).  When I was done with the first batch of kids the second batch was right there ready for me.  So I started all over again.  I figured Ladybug would go paint the other project like the other kids but she mostly stayed with me.  She “helped” me with the next batch of kids and the last batch too. 

She’s a great helper but I felt bad because I thought the other kids would get upset or jealous but that didn’t happen.  They were all happy as clams.  After we were all done and cleaned up, it was time for me to go.  The kids all said “Thank You!” and some little girls (including Ladybug) were very sad to see me go.  They asked why I couldn’t stay and when I would be back to pick up Ladybug.  I went home to the peace and quiet of my computer desk.  Where I can work on the things that need to be done with limited interruptions. 

I look outside and I hear the birds chirping.  It’s a beautiful day.  I can’t wait to get out and garden later before the mosquitoes are out in force.  I need to get my Sweet Pea flowers in the ground very soon.  It’s time for them to be outside instead of inside.  I can’t wait to see my flowers in the summer.  I have some Tulips blooming right now (see picture).  It’s beautiful to see something that you planted from bulb or seed to grow into a healthy flower. 

My next blog… My Husbands fantasy world.

No comments:

Post a Comment