Friday, March 11, 2011

Mommy, your Potty smells.....


You ever have those days that you know that you did a lot but when you look back you couldn’t even pin point one thing that happened??  Ok I am having one of those weeks.  It’s Friday and I can’t believe all that I didn’t get done!  I have been able to “catch up” on the kids doctor appointments, physicals etc. so that’s one thing!  I was able to visit a friend which was also great.  I have had NO time at all though for gardening.  My laundry is still in piles that need to be hung up too.  HOWEVER, I have gotten some clutter, mess and all around stuff done around the house… just nothing finished all the way. 


I think I forgot to mention that all 5 kids still live at home.  And to be honest, there is no light at the end telling me that they will ever leave.  Of them all The Boy needs to go first.  The others pull their weight, are respectful and aren't more trouble than they are worth.

I just got back from taking my 17-year-old stepdaughter (We'll call her Blue because she had blue hair for nearly a year) to the doctor for a check-up.  (I got a free Guzmania plant on the way out because the person who takes care of the inside plants at the doctors office was giving away the old ones and putting new ones in.)  Anyway, back to Blue.  I am so proud of her and how she has been for the past couple of months.  She was always the child that I worried the most about.  We have had her with us for nearly 5 years now (wow where has the time gone?).  I remember when the girls came to “visit” and ended up never leaving.  I was about 4 months pregnant with Ladybug.  We lived in a two bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment.   The Boy (20 now) was already living with us since he was 12.  We had a family of six, one being pregnant, sharing that small space until Ladybug was about 7 months old and we were able to move into a four bedroom, 3-bathroom house.  We found out a few months after moving that my quiet, moody 12-year-old stepdaughter had a problem with drugs, alcohol, and cutting herself.  

I knew she had problems but did not realize how bad they were.  Their mother had joined the Army (to get a better handle on her life) and wasn’t in touch with them or us.  They still don’t talk to her much (just rare emails etc.)  Anyway, she’s been clean and sober for a year on March 13th, there is no sign of cutting, and she treats me as if I am a real person, not just a parent.  I remember the day when I came home from work before picking up Ladybug from school.  I hurriedly asked the room (there were two girls in it) “Hey how was your day?” not expecting to get a response.  She said “It was good, how was yours?”  OMG I thought I would die of shock!  I recovered somewhat quickly and I think it was an ok response.  It was very nice to not just be the person who gave her rides and would ground her for not doing well in school.  I never thought I would see the day where I could ask her (and trust her) to watch Ladybug.  My general rule is “If they don’t want to watch her then I don’t want them watching her.”  I know teens don’t normally like to watch their younger siblings but it’s great to sometimes get some help.  I was able to go to a Gardening Workshop two weekends in a row (for 4 hours each weekend) and she helped watch her. 

I talked to her about getting a job where her sister works as a sign waver.  Its $10 an hour and that would be great for her all around.  That conversation went very well.  She’s talking to her sister about it now.  I hope that something can come of it.  I am just still amazed.

Now, the other night, I was putting Ladybug to bed.  It was the SSDD with a couple of stories, then lights out for a song, then turn on her Pooh CD, etc. All was going well (I thought), I had just finished the story and was sitting on her bed.  I asked her to go turn off the light.  She had her big, nice, soft, warm blanket with her when she came back and was standing in front of me.  She smelled her blanket, then leaned over and smelled me.  Then she said “Mommy, your Potty smells!”  Gee just what you want to hear from your 4 year old.  I tried to use that as a great excuse to rush bedtime so I could go shower but that didn’t happen.  Anyway, I got her down, listening to Pooh and was getting ready for a shower when she came in with her blanket and said “Mommy, I forgot to tell you something.  It’s my blanket that smells bad on part of it.  Your potty doesn’t smell.  Could you wash my blanket for me please?  I can’t sleep with it when it smells.”  Ah, isn’t it nice to know that my hygiene was good all along?!?!  NO those 20 minutes of thinking that my “Potty” smelled were awful.  We washed the blanket, I loaned her “my” blanket (which is really just the spare for her when she needs it) and off to bed she went. 

Sigh….silence, priceless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment