Wednesday, June 8, 2011

We can go! We can go! - The delusions of a 4 year old.

This week Ladybug has been off on a break from school.  She graduates from preschool tonight but will be returning back to her school next week for the summer program and also be remaining in 007's classroom for next year as well instead of moving on to Kindergarten.  So while I have been working here at the house for Hubby, she has been watching some TV and then we will take a TV break and spend some time together, painting, playing outside, things like that.  


Today is day 3.  Normally I would be going insane by now but things have been good.  I have found new ways to disfuse the Power Struggles that we seem to often have.  My favorite is the When/Then and it goes like this.


"When you put your panties and jammies on, Then I will turn on a movie for you."


"When you pick up your toys, Then we will have lunch."  


"When you wash your hands and face, Then we can get ready to go outside."


It's amazing how you can phrase things so they don't feel that need to get more power out of the situation!


Ok so now on to my topic.  Ladybug wanted to watch Cat in the Hat this morning.  It's not the movie but the show on PBS which I record on Tivo so we have a good selection of each of her favorites.  So in the show there are these two children Nick and Sally who are about 7 or 8 I am guessing (it's hard to tell from a cartoon).  They are friends and they play together a lot.  The Cat in the Hat always comes over when they have a problem and he has a solution from a far away place or something like that.  For instance the other day Nick was trying to make honey for breakfast since he had ran out.... So the Cat took them to a Bee Hive to learn how make honey.  Now before the kids leave they always ask whatever Mom they are with... It goes like this:


"Mom!!  Can Sally and I go with the Cat in the Hat to the Land of Milk and Honey to see how Honey is made?"  says Nick.


(Laughter)  "The Land of Milk and Honey?  Sure just be back before lunch."  says Nick's Mom.


Sally and Nick will jump up and down and say together "We can GO!  We can GO!"


"I know I know!!"  Says the Cat in the Hat.  


So anyway, Kayla was saying this morning "I can go, I can GO!"  I decided to test her on something.  I asked her this:


"Ladybug, do you think I would let you go somewhere with the Cat in the Hat?"  


"YUP!"  she says!


Wow... so let me get this straight.  A Cat in a Hat comes by and just takes off with my kid AND her friend to take them places in the Thingamajig (the flying car) with Things 1 & 2, not to mention Fish and I would be ok with this?  She insane!  I don't let her go off and play at her friends house without me being there yet (of course no friend has asked that she stay there without me yet either).  


But I shall let my Ladybug live in her dream world and be happy with that.  No point in rocking the boat on this one. She wouldn't understand.  I feel like telling her:


"When pigs fly, Then you can go with the Cat in the Hat."

No comments:

Post a Comment