Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Day at Granddad's and Gram's

Ladybug and I went to my mom and dads house to prepare the flower beds for the upcoming party on the 3rd of July (since the 4th falls on a Monday).  I am determined for these flower beds to look great and for everyone in attendance to comment on how nice it looks.  I don't mind weeding.  But DAMN I have got to say I HATE Bermuda Grass with a passion.  That crappy "grass" grows in runners and goes everywhere, it's a pain in the butt to get it out. 


So we set out this morning at 9:30 to run by Starbucks and then head to their place before it could get too hot so we could work without being in the hot sun all day.  (Best laid plans).  I guess I didn't realize how much there was to do.  So we finally get there around 11ish.  Mom was making lunch (Bacon covered hot dogs with cheese in them).  


Ladybug and Granddad went out in the back yard to check on the pool that they were draining (to clean it).  She was so excited to get out there and "help" Granddad to clean it.  Her gardening clothes (a pair of cut off jeans and a t-shirt) were soaked before lunch was ready.  She played in the pool (that was mostly empty) for a good time and then I had to strip her in their backyard so she could eat lunch. 


Lucky for me I always bring at least 1 extra set of clothes but I had 2 sets with me today "just in case".  It came in handy.  Although Ladybug would have been perfectly happy eating naked in her towel, I put a Tangled dress on her.  After she ate her and Granddad went to OSH to get sprinkler head replacements.  


Now Ladybug and I had been to OSH on the way to Gram's house because Ladybug forgot my Garden Toolbag at home and it had my gloves in it. So I had to pick up the cheapest pair I could find ($4 for two pair) and on the way in I saw that they had flats of Verbena that my mom wanted for around the tree in the front yard.  So I told Ladybug "Remember to tell Granddad that they have Verbena for $2.28."  


When her and Granddad went to OSH he was looking at some plants that he liked and was thinking about buying but my bossy little girl told him that those were the wrong flowers and lead him straight to where they had the Verbena outside of the front of the store.  Unfortunately he had a small basket of stuff that he hadn't yet paid for.  He could have walked away basket and all for all the attention it brought but after she lead him to the flowers he felt compelled to buy them for us.  LOL.  So when they got home she comes and says:


"Mommy!!!  We got you a surprise!  It's a gardening gift!  Flowers!!"  


How cute that she thought of me when she was spending their money!   I planted several around the front tree, then the rest in the back.  We are hoping they will spread out a bit and fill in the empty spots.  


After they fixed the sprinklers (which I figured would take longer but only took like maybe 5 minutes tops), they went back in the "clean" the pool.  We were out there working in the yard and pool from about 12:30 until 5pm when Ladybugs cousin was coming over to play for a bit.  


I was covered head to toe in dirt and even though I had my mom spray my back with sunscreen (SPF 115) before I started, I still ended up burnt in some areas of my back.  It never ceases to amaze me how utterly white I am and how easily I burn.  


I just put my Ladybug to bed (more than an hour late) and she told me that her favorite part of the day was when she put her gardening gloves on herself, found some snails, dropped them on the ground and smooshed them with her shoe.  Ain't life grand?!

No comments:

Post a Comment